Re: [opensuse] Sending System Mail To Aribtrary Address Instead of Local Mailbox?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 00:45:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2009-04-06 at 13:21 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Alright, messrs. spoilsport. No hacks today.

You know how hard it is to invent good names for things? And now I have
to invent a name for my online existence _and_ it has to be available
in the DNS system!

ROTFL! X'-)

I'll be a bit more of a spoilsport. That DNS name needs to have an MX field or it will not, or may not, work. Some servers may require that it also has rDNS, and some that the rDNS and DNS are matching.

My suggestion is simply to change the outgoing mail so that it has:

From: root <...@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Randall <...@xxxxxxxxx>

but I'm not sure how best to do that. Should be simple.

Part b) is just the same configuration as is needed if you want postfix to send mail from <...@xxxxxxxxx> instead of using KMail's configuration. If you want to do that I'll tell you how, as it is my setup (and then, if you want, you can also tell KMail to use postfix instead).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.