Re: [opensuse] Re: stubborn screen blanking under OS11.1 - Link SOLUTION
  • From: "LLLActive@xxxxxxx" <LLLActive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:21:44 +0200
Dave Plater wrote:
LLLActive@xxxxxxx wrote:

JC Francois wrote:

Hi,

For a few weeks now my OpenSUSE 11.1 desktop PC has decided to blank the
screen after 6 minutes of inactivity. Nothing that I have tried so far
has managed to modify this behaviour.

Can somebody please suggest a place where to look for solution?

This problem is extremely irritating.

Thanks,

~/jc

Someone else has a similar problem with a solution here:
http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/15922/screen-saver-problem.html

Another (similar) problem could be (if you use KDE 3.5 with OpenSUSE 11.1):
I have one system that has similar behaviour - the difference is that it
flashes broad horizontal lines on the screen when the system starts,
before the first login. Automated Login is activated, but then after the
brad lines go away, the screen is blank. Pushing a key or moving the
mouse, a login screen appears of the screensaver. I have not yet logged
in at all! It goes straight from automated login into the screen saver
(blank). Once logged in, the screen saver does not start again.

What I noticed is that there are no screen savers to select from if you
try to set up one in KDE's Personal Settings -> Appearance & Themes ->
Screen Saver. If you have screen savers - skip the rest. If they fail,
read on:

I recall there was a missing screen saver directory problem in a
previous OpenSUSE 11.x version. On the system that works, I did the
manual link to the right directory for screen savers; on the one with
the strange behaviour not.

I use KDE 3.5 and not KDE 4.1 yet on OpenSUSE 11.1. Check if you have a
directory called /opt/kde3/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers. My
installation did not have one. It was somewhere else, and had to be
copied here to get screen savers. See the workaround below if you do not
see screen savers.

Alexander R wrote:

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>