Re: [opensuse] Local Update Server Works Great!
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 06:46:14 -0500
Jan Kupec wrote:
Hi David,

David C. Rankin wrote:
Maybe you can help with another problem with the local update setup.
The only
problem I have is that to access rpms on the local repository I have to use
the
'-t package' option even if the rpms were originally cached from the openSuSE
Update server during an online update.

It's really just more annoying than anything else. I would expect that
doing a
"zypper up -r localrepo" would return a list of updates that have not yet
been
applied to the client machine. Instead, you get the "Nothing to do" answer.

If you use -t package against the local repo, then you get all the
updates
both from the online-update repo as well as all of the packages cached
during a
regular zypper up -t package update.

Is there any designation of flag the online-update metadata has that I
might
be missing in creating the repo with 'createrepo -p -d openSUSE_11.0'?

What you get with createrepo from dirs with rpms is just plain packages.
The update repositories contain also special metadata called 'Patches'.
These live only in the metadata, that's why you don't get them with
createrepo. There're located in <repository>/repodata/updateinfo.xml.gz
in recent update repos (they used to be in /repodata/patches.xml +
patch-*.xml files before 11.0).

My guess is that copying these raw metadata to corresponding dir on the
client machines will suffice, they contain all architectures the repo
contains.

HTH

BTW (info for those on 11.1) on a 11.1+ system:
zypper up == zypper up -t package
zypper patch == zypper up -t patch

Thank you Jan,

I'll give it a go and report back. I'm all about this local repo stuff,
case
in point:

[06:40 alchemy:/media] # zypper in -r 3111updt qdvdauthor-templates
Reading installed packages...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
qdvdauthor-templates

Overall download size: 78.9 M. After the operation, additional 96.2 M will be
used.
Continue? [YES/no]: yes
Downloading package qdvdauthor-templates-1.0.0-1.pm.0.noarch (1/1), 78.9 M
(96.2 M unpacked)
Downloading: qdvdauthor-templates-1.0.0-1.pm.0.noarch.rpm [done (2.9 M/s)]

What was a 10 *minute* download the first time, turned into a 30 second
download the second time (and that's over wireless). I bet I can cut it down to
a 9 second download over CAT5 ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC