Re: [opensuse] Time To Call It A Day [SOLVED]
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:11:35 -0500
When I replaced the 7300LE card with the 9600GT, I saw no reason to use
the analogue adaptor. It never occurred to me that a digital connection
would affect hardware detection, but it most certainly does. With an
analogue connection the monitor is accurately detected and the nVidia
driver automatically kicks in, with full 1680x1050 resolution.

Still bad driver :-)
Probably xorg.conf needs few parameters to tell nvidia driver that it should
use DFP instead of CRT. Nvidia driver can recognize:
Option "Metamodes" "1680x1050"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

While this seems to fly in the face of logic and reason, I don't care,
so long as I can get out of Windows, back to my favourite distro.

I was delayed to post what I found in Xorg.99.log.
The nv driver from xorg.conf.install (failsafe mode) had a problem to detect
monitor, so I tried to find option to disable that detection, and set modes
manually. Problem is to find option that is appropriate because it changed
and it is documented, but deep in readmes. The latest nvidia driver would
use:
Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
that would do exactly what is needed.

--