Re: [opensuse] Correct config for dual nic's
  • From: Chris Arnold <carnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:51:56 -0400

On 4/2/09 12:35 AM, "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris Arnold wrote:
Just trying to get all resources working. Some work when a certain entry is
entered and some do not. Can you see via webex? I have webex account

On 4/1/09 6:39 PM, "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/3/31 Chris Arnold <carnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Using SLES10 SP2 and need to get multi-nic configured correctly. 1 nic is
a network and the other nic is on another network. Using yast->routing what
is the correct way to configure this 2 nic (on the 192.168.123 network)?
When I put in the expert config section of routing, dest and
give it a gateway of the 192.168.123 network, somethings stop working. So
question is how is a dual nic system suppose to be setup using routing?

What are you trying to accomplish?, failover?, double throughput?

Sorry, I've been following along, but I still don't know enough about your
network topology to make a guess at how to make your

"email work without any dropped connection error from the email client"

I know Theo, Anders and Ciro could give you a one sentence solution to your
problem it they had a good picture of your layout and what it is you are
to do. And... Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words. So could you try and
give us a simple picture of what you have? Something simple like the following
would help. Just make the changes needed and post it back:

NIC1: +-----------------------[ bound to specific ip for email ]
NIC2: +----------------------[ bound to specific ip for edir] IP:........
| IP: | \
| NM: | \
-------- |
[client 3] IP:.........

Also, give:

04:22 nirvana:/srv/www/download/screenshots/ms> route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface U 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 lo UG 0 0 0 eth0

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref UseIface U 0 0 0 eth1 U 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 eth0 U 0 0 0 lo UG 0 0 0 eth1

The you can explain that you are on [client 2] running kmail trying to access
your mail on [x.y.z.a] and you get the following error:

I am on client 2 running an email proggie (not kmail) entourage (remember
this client is not the problem but the problem is on an opensuse system).
When I access email I get a connection to the server has been dropped.