[opensuse] can't play music from radio station; upgrade
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:19:16 -0500
Trying to play music with RealPlayer 10. Don't know whether that is the
version of RealPlayer that came with SuSE 9.3, that I'm running. This is
an option for the radio station--RealPlayer--at one time I had some kind of
music come out of the speakers, but I don't know how I did it, but I did know
that they could play. I don't seem to have amarok on the machine, and in any
event, the radio station doesn't offer that option. (The radio station plays
country music. It is KSEY, in Texas, and it works on a Windows machine
in WinAmp and Nero, but when it drops out in Nero, you have to manually
reset it; WinAmp resets itself. I don't know how to activate Amarok, which is
supposed to be wonderful for Linux. The program says that the music is
playing, but nothing comes out of the speakers. The system is not in mute
mode.
I'd like to put version 11 on the machine, but I don't know how to preserve
/home/doug/documents/ thru the new install. I really want the information
in this directory to come thru whole. Presently have Reiser FS and have had
no problem with it. I also cannot write to the CD that I installed from, so
I can't write the directory to a CD.

Please be patient with me. I'm an old man, who has spent most of his life
doing hardware, not software.

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers ... for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley