[opensuse] VNC Issue Resolved w/ OpenSUSE 11.1
  • From: George Sexton <gsexton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:17:53 -0600
I've been having some problems using the VNC server with OpenSUSE 11.1.

I could connect to the VNC server, but I got an X11 mesh background with no login prompt.

After searching and not finding much useful information, I found the problem.

Looking at the command line in the xinetd.d/vnc file, there is an argument "-query localhost". When I changed the argument to "-broadcast" things started working. For fun, I changed the line to

"-query 127.0.0.1"

and that worked as well.

This put me on the right track. Examining the file /etc/hosts, there are entries:

127.0.0.1 localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

If I take "localhost" from the IPv6 line of the /etc/hosts file, then VNC works as expected.

I changed this back and forth a few times, and confirmed that changing this entry resolved the issue.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.