Re: [opensuse] Re: Update of aaa_base removes permissions to /dev/null
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:22:04 +0100
More comments, which I forgot

On Saturday 07 March 2009 22:49:51 David Haller wrote:
Aye. Udev.

By the way, I don't think udev will ever remove anything

Josef, could you please mail the output of:

grep null /lib/udev/rules.d/* /etc/udev/rules.d/*

Maybe you have something weird there.

udev reacts to kernel events. A user can't normally trigger a kernel event to
create the null device, it's hard coded in the kernel.

-dnh, yet another reason for disliking automatisms in general and
the whole udev, hal and dbus mishmash in particular.

udev used to be a chaotic mess, but it's become a lot better in recent times

hal, well, it makes sense to have some sort of abstraction layer for hardware.
I don't know enough about other OSes to be able to comment on the
alternatives, but there has to be something.

I don't think dbus comes into it at all. It is an IPC system

Anders