Re: [opensuse] Still think you WEP protection is sufficient for home use?
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 00:51:00 +0100
Amedee Van Gasse (amedee.be) schreef:
On Mon, March 2, 2009 10:55, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates:

I had dropped WPA-tkip protection for WEP so my son and daughter could
access the internet with their Nintendo DS game console. After doing so, I
decided to poke around a bit to see how easy it was to break WEP
encryption. To my utter dismay -- it was simple. True to the claims, it
takes less than 60 seconds.

*snip*

I don't know about game consoles, but how about the following setup:

* wired and wireless network on separate subnet
* wired network is routed to the internet
* wireless network is not routed
* OpenVPN server on the wifi router
* OpenVPN client on the laptops
* OpenVPN network is routed to the internet and to the wired network

This config is a bit paranoid, I know. But I can't imagine any script
kiddie that would break a 2048-bit RSA/DSA key in less then the lifetime
of the universe.

Did this one get to the list? There seemed to be a problem at my end.