Re: [opensuse] Re: Help - tmp full
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:27:21 +0100

Why hasn't anyone yet advised the OP to put /tmp and /var onto a
separate, dedicated partition? That would solve the whole problem
without all these struggles.

I can't remember where I got that advice from --wasn't it on this list
several years ago?

John Perry

When the thread started, it wasn't yet known that /tmp wasn't the
problem but /var. Putting /tmp separate wouldn't have solved the
problem, there would still have been other issues.

If RAM is big enough, it may be a good idea to mount /tmp as tmpfs. It's
not always suitable but it works for me.

Putting /var separate may sound like a nice idea, but in my really
humble opinion it is overkill except when you run a server. For a
desktop machine, it's really not necessary to put /var separate. The
problem discussed in this thread was probably just a fluke.
To make good use of a lot of partitions, you'd have to use LVM, because
else you would always have that problem that you allocated too much or
too little space to a partition.

--
Amedee