Re: [opensuse] Digital Camera
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:10:03 -0700
On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 17:30 +0100, Daniel Bauer wrote:
On Saturday 28 February 2009 15:44:32, Bob Rea wrote:
Just got a digital slr. Been looking at photo mags. they
describe doing things in Photoshop etc

So is there somewhere a guide to reading Photoshop
directions and translating them into Gimp directions?

Also, what other good programs are there in Linux for photo
work and what do you use/recommend?

Hi Bob

The only disadvantage of gimp is that it still only supports 8bit images.
However, in my opinion more bits are only necessary until you have set the
right colours.

I use digiKam, too. The new KDE4 release can deal with most if not all raw
files, has a nice colour setup tool and is very useful for organizing photos
and doing corrections that apply to the whole image.

Fortunately you can also start it from within an KDE 3.5 session, provied you
have installed kde4.

Apart from the 8bit restriction you can do everything in Gimp that you can do
in photoshop. Just the interface is completely different, ther's another
logic behind it, and things are somethimes called differently.

While learning Gimp I often had photoshop open in one window (at least
photoshop 7 runs with wine, or use virtualbox with an XP...) and gimp in
another. Then I followed some complicated photoshop tutorials step by step
and tried to achieve the same result in Gimp for every step. During this I
got used to gimp's way of doing things - and now I prefer gimp... I now use
it as "automatic" as I did before with photoshop.

It's a huge program and you will have to invest some time to learn, just as
you would have to with any new photoshop version, too...

good luck

Daniel

Look at gimpshop is in packman. I've never used it. It seems Daniel's
approach is the best and it is to learn gimp.

http://www.gimpshop.com/

-=terry=-