Re: [opensuse] Installing VirtualBox
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:35:38 +0200
On Monday 09 February 2009 14:35:01 Jos van Kan wrote:
Stan Goodman schreef:
(snip)

It had not come up here. Following your suggestion:

Poblano:/usr/bin # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel module
done Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module
done Removing old VirtualBox kernel module
done Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
failed (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went
wrong) Poblano:/usr/bin # cd /var/log
Poblano:/var/log # vi vbox-install.log

*****
Here is what the log says:
Makefile:170: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your
current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.
Stop.
*****

What exactly does the above want me to do?

Install the kernel sources. Apparently the installation tries to
recompile the kernel modules and in order to do that it needs the kernel
source. The instruction "Specify ... etc" erroneously supposes you
already did that and put them in a non-standard spot. Stupid computers
... :-)

I am not dense enough to blame my own ignorance on the "stupid computer".

Knowing that an automatic update replaced my kernel only a few days ago, I
chose to d/l kernel-source. YaST then asked for the installation disk, and
installed from there. I did not notice that there was anything about
downloading and applying incremental changes, and I can only hope that it
did this and I didn't notice. Does this sound to be what should have
happened, and it is safe to retry the integration of the VB kernel modules?
YaST says the installed kernel-source is now 2.6.27.7-9.1.

--
Jos van Kan registered Linux user #152704

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on