Re: [opensuse] Installing VirtualBox
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 09:11:33 -0500
David C. Rankin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
I've installed VirtualBox from YaST, specifically the packages:
virtualbox-ose
virtualbox-ose-guest-tools
virtualbox-ose-kmp-default (This is the default kernel)
xorg-x11-driver-virtualbox-ose (Mouse & Video driver)

Calling 'virtualbox' at a terminal does nothing. I do not find anything that
looks like an executable for this program, so something seems to be missing.

Besides two additional kernels of the same size as the default ("debug" and
"trace"), there is another, much smaller "kernel" called virtualbox-ose-kmp-
pae, and maybe that is what is missing. But if someone can confirm that, I
would feel much easier in making the experiment. The descriptions of these
files in the Software Manager are less helpful than usual.

I also use the download from the virtualbox site. Never had any problems and
it
works great. Direct downloads i586/x86_64:

11.0

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.2/VirtualBox-2.1.2_41885_openSUSE110-1.i586.rpm
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.2/VirtualBox-2.1.2_41885_openSUSE110-1.x86_64.rpm

11.0

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.2/VirtualBox-2.1.2_41885_openSUSE111-1.i586.rpm
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.2/VirtualBox-2.1.2_41885_openSUSE111-1.x86_64.rpm

Also change the usbfs line in /etc/fstab to the following if you want to
use the usb sybsystem. xxxx=(vboxusers gid number) mine is 1000.

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto,mode=664,gid=xxxx 0 0

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998