Re: [opensuse] Installing VirtualBox
  • From: Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:08:13 +0100
Am Samstag 07 Februar 2009 17:14:24 schrieb Stan Goodman:
I've installed VirtualBox from YaST, specifically the packages:
virtualbox-ose
virtualbox-ose-guest-tools
virtualbox-ose-kmp-default (This is the default kernel)
xorg-x11-driver-virtualbox-ose (Mouse & Video driver)

You need virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-kmp-default (or another kmp
depending from your kernel) for the the host machine. Install virtualbox-ose
using yast or zypper and the right kmp RPM will be chosen automatically.

The other RPMs are for openSUSE guest machines only and are optional.

Calling 'virtualbox' at a terminal does nothing. I do not find anything
that looks like an executable for this program, so something seems to be
missing.

The executeable is VirtualBox with big V and B.

Besides two additional kernels of the same size as the default ("debug" and
"trace"), there is another, much smaller "kernel" called
virtualbox-ose-kmp- pae, and maybe that is what is missing. But if someone
can confirm that, I would feel much easier in making the experiment. The
descriptions of these files in the Software Manager are less helpful than
usual.

No experiments with kmps neccessary, when you use yast or zypper for
installation.

Herbert