Re: [opensuse] Installing VirtualBox
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 23:45:05 +0100
I wish I could answer that question. The mechanics of this program are still
very foggy to me. It asked me what virtual machine I wanted to make, and I
filled in the blanks, mainly how much RAM I wanted, whether dynamically
sized or fixed, and how much HD space. I don't remember a question like the
one you ask.

I'm guessing that you created the virtual disk, but didn't install the OS
into it yet. You do have the installer disks, don't you?

Disks? You mean Windows disk? But from reading about the program I
understood that VB is an emulator, and doesn't require Windows disks, but
uses a set of translation tables to convert Windows calls to go through the
host machine. That's why it can support only a small set of guest machines.
Have I misunderstood this?

Completely. VirtualBox is not Wine... you're mixing them up. Wine
provides the mapping for the Windows api to Linux. VirtualBox
provides you a virtual computer. If you set up a Win2K image, you
still need to install Windows 2000 from your master disks into that
virtual machine.

A virtual machine like VirtualBox, VMWare, MS Virtual PC and so on,
are all basically a software implementation of a real computer. It
allows you to emulate the _hardware_ of a real computer and install a
supported OS onto that emulated hardware.

So, in that VirtualBox, you can install Win2k, WinXP, Vista, pretty
much any Linux variation, OpenSolaris and a few other OS types. You
must install from the master disks or ISOs, just as if you were
installing on a real machine.

Does that clear it up a bit?

C.