Re: [opensuse] Who is using Gnome?
  • From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 23:41:42 +0200
It's been a few years since I've run OS/2, so I'm working from memory.
However, one thing it had was 64KB of extended attributes, which could
contain an incredible amount of searchable info about an object.

Dolphin can tag and let one add comments to files and directories. It
is very basic now, but soon it will be indexed and searchable. I do
not know if this is similar to what you describe.

For
example, if you downloaded a zipped file from CompuServe, with an app
called "Golden Compass", the EAs for that file would have all kinds of
stuff, including the file_id.dz (IIRC), which was a text file describing
the zip contents automatically.

Do any current zip files have that metadata today?

You could also add your own description
and other meta data. You could then search your system, using complex
relationships, based on that meta data. If you added something to the
desktop, it was automatically added to the "Warp" menu. There were
shadows, which can best be described as links on the desktop, so that
you could have multiple instances of the same object and if you changed
one, they all changed.

Symlinks?

Also, since a desktop icon was part of the EAs,
it always "knew" where the object was located, so that if that object
was moved, the meta data updated automatically, unlike Linux or Windows,
where you simply have a link that points to a file and if the file is
moved the icon can no longer find it.

That might be a nice feature, but I don't think that it should be
handled at the desktop environment level. Mention it on LKML.

There are many, many things that
the WPS can do, far more than I can mention in a brief message.

If you find a webpage that mentions the features that you like, link it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü