Re: [opensuse] ssh from behind a corporate firewall
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:46:01 -0500
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
James Knott schreef:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

AND, it's trivial to ssh into your home box and access an email client
there.

Assuming the corporate network & security will permit.

I assume that there is some kind of firewall? And that it blocks port
22? Are they using a mandatory proxy?
I may be able to help you, if you give me more details. Are they using
ISA or Squid?

I was speaking in a general sense. I have no problem using SSH or VPN
to connect from work to my home network. However, there are many places
where such "unauthorized" use is prohibited or blocked. As an example,
the public library in my city has free WiFi access for library card
holders. It works fine for accessing the web or library catalog, but
they block both SSH and OpenVPN, so I cannot connect to my home network
from the library.