Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:18:02 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, January 27, 2009 12:44, Jay Mistry wrote:
I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?

A firewall is always a good idea.

There is no use for antivirus on Linux, but in your case you will probably
have a partition that is shared by Linux and Windows. Antivirus on Linux
for the files on that partition is a good idea.

--
Amedee