Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:38:38 -0500
Jay Mistry wrote:
I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?

Jay
==

I have a separate firewall, so I don't enable it on my other computers. The main purpose for AV on Linux is when it's used a server for Windows boxes. Viruses are not an issue for Linux.