Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:12:35 +0100
On 2009-01-27T17:14:13, Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?

The threat model on Linux seems to subtly differ from Windows; user
files cannot infect the binaries installed. Not to mention a rather
distinct lack of Linux viruses in the wild.

So AppArmor as an additional security model (it's not a firewall) and
enabling the firewall (which ships enabled by default, I think) should
be plenty safe. (I personally don't even bother with AppArmor.)

Oh, and backups of course.

If you want to be really paranoid, add an additional user just for web
surfing, which then can't reach the files/mail of your other account.

Regards,
Lars