Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:52:27 +0100
Jay Mistry wrote:
I use openSUSE 11.1 Linux (dual-boot with Win XP Prof.) for general
home use (browse Internet, documents, occasional music/video view,
etc). For this type of use, are either/both of these required:
I have an always-on cable Internet connection (broadband).

1) A Firewall (default App Armour is enabled)

2) Anti-virus (opSUSE 11.1 has clam antivirus)

Should one leave them on & update as necessary or is it safe to browse
without them enabled ?

Exploits exist for all browsers, so if you are using your machine to surf the
internet it is recommended to have a virus scanner installed and the firewall
active.

The same goes for documents like pdf files.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!