Re: [opensuse] Kde4 - plasmoids not working
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:37:56 +0100
nvidia 8800
compiz-fusion
opensuse 11.1 64b

Problem: system tray plasmoid freezes system and requires restart X and
resetting kde4

Which KDE4 are you using? You missed that bit, and the specific
release of KDE4 makes a huge difference whether these bits behave
reasonably or not... Is this KDE 4.1 from the standard repositories of
the ones from the Factory repo?

version: 4.1.3-4.9

It is the one from the retail box IF it has not been upgraded with some
the online upgrades. I did not download anything from the factory. I am
using the community repositories only.

It makes a very big difference if you upgrade to the Factory version.
Use the 1-Click from the Wiki and it'll drop in the right repository.
The Factory version is the one that is closest to being in a "working"
state, and if you're planning on tinkering at all in KDE4 beyond just
using it as-is, then you really should (in my opinion) be using the
Factory builds only. A huge percentage of the things being discussed
here on the list as not-working are fixed in the Factory builds.

C.