Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:27:13 +0100
Anton Aylward schreef:
Amedee Van Gasse said the following on 01/09/2009 05:09 PM:

I'll tell you how I did it.
In the upper right corner of the desktop, there is a plasmoid to zoom out.
When I zoom out, I can see 4 desktops on my screen.
I click on the first desktop with the right mouse button, choose desktop
settings, and select a wallpaper. Then I save my changes.
Then, with the 4 desktops still zoomed out, I click with the right mouse
button on the second desktop, set the wallpaper, save.
Same for desktop 3 and 4.

That's how I made the screenshot that I sent earlier.

I think we have a difference in terminology in this thread.

Workspaces vs Desktops.

In KDE3 we had "Desktops". We still have them in KDE4.

systemsettings -> Desktop -> Multiple Desktops

Lets stick with calling those desktops.

So. pick any one of the four plasmoid-things - lets call them
"workspaces" - and you still have 4 desktops in each of them.

Suppose you put (and label them as such in Systemsettings)
Desktop 1 - Mail
Desktop 2 - Web browser
Desktop 3 - File browser (Dolphin?)
Desktop 4 - Terminal

then these exist in each of the "workspaces".

The "workspace" defines the wallpaper.

Under KDE3 I don't have the plasmoid/workspaces but I can set a
different wallpaper for each _Desktop_. Under KDE4 I can't

Q.E.D.

As I said, its a matter of terminology. If you call the things defined
in 'systemsettings' "Desktops" then no, you can't set a different
wallpaper for each desktop in KDE4 at present.

I notice in the graphic you posted that the "panel" has a two-row
"pager" plasmoid - the little "four square" wire-frame. So in addition
to the four "workspaces" you also have four "desktops" that appear in
each workspace. You could assign names and alter the "pager" options
to show the names.

I have just verified all of the above by doing it.

What this means is that you are both right - but you are using "Desktop"
to mean different things.

If you right-click on the top of an application window you will get a
pull-down that has an option "Desktop". This can be used to move the
window to another Desktop - mail/web/files/terminal in my example. If
you do you'll find it still has the same background in KDE4 but can have
a different one in KDE3. This is one reason I'm using the "Desktop" in
this context and "Workspace" in the other.

If you know of a way to bind an application to what I have termed a
"workspace" I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Desktop, Workspace,... for me they are both words in a foreign language
(English). If someone could translate to Dutch, then perhaps I could
finally understand what the fuss is all about.

Anyway, if you're not happy with KDE4, there is always ion. ;-)

--
Amedee