[opensuse] Strange "PermissionDeniedByPolicy" Problem with 11.1
  • From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:43:58 +0100
Hello,

I recently installed a new 11.1 system using autoyast which basically worked
fine. However working with KDE i noticed a strange problem when trying to
supend the machine to disk.

Eg if I type (not beeing root) suspend -U in a KDE-terminal window I get the
message:

Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate no <-- (action, result)

When I am logged on beeing root then everything is OK. So its after all a
rights problem. Originally I tried to use kopwersave, but this tool disables
to corresponding menu entrys right from the start.

Another problem happens when accessing an USB stick. When I attach such a
device I get a notification in KDE that there is a new device but if I try to
open it using dolphin, then dolphin says:

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed no <- (action, result)

How can I debug this bug to find out what is going wrong? Where do I find the
configuration that says who is allowd to mount a device.

I guess this has something to do with the autoyast installation, since I have
two systems installed this way and both show these symptoms and another system
installed without autoyast and there I do not have these problems.

How can I gon on to find the problem?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
56070 Koblenz, http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312