Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:09:05 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 15:16 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

Rui said he forced the situation (fsck being oom killed) by only leaving
90Mb of free memory - I'm not sure what the purpose of that was.

The purpose was that a few applications were crashing randomly, and fsck
was one of them. Since I thought 90 MB was far more than enough to
complete the operation, it was what I did...
Remember that the fsck is on a vfat file system. If you want to
reproduce it, build a 250GB vfat file system with 35000 files with 850MB
and try it. As I also stated in other email of this thread, I have a
openSUSE 11.0 x86_64 with 256MB of RAM that does not crash ( mainly for
rsyncd ).I was just trying to identify a BUG that, it isn't.

What would be the size of the FAT on that partition? Two copies. It would be the number of clusters times 4 bytes, no? I'm thinking that fsck holds that structure in memory to analyze it. Maybe both copies, and maybe a read copy and a write copy, so four times. Just guessing.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.