Re: [opensuse] Fink for OpenSuSE?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyltonconacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:17:39 +0200
2009/1/3 Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
2009/1/3 Michael S. Dunsavage <mikesd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 01:21 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

in most scenarios, rebuilding
packages from source will not produce any noticeable benefit for you.

The only time I see compiling a necessity is if the binary needs to be
compiled with a certain option.

It would still be nice to have as then if the precompiled rpm package
is defunct, then a user can download the source and compile it
specific to their system.

If I were you, I would raise a Request for Enhancement jd.

Not sure what is being asked for here.

Kai,

Whilst you and many other more experienced folk have learn't,
sometimes painfully, what the CLI commands are to compile from source
as well as how the whole process works, there are many ppl, myself
included, who whilst they have been using Linux for a number of years
via a window manager, have no idea or very little information on how
to compile from source.

The Fink project is giving users like me an interface to use to help
us better understand how compiling from source operates, the
dependencies needed, the location of source files and the location of
compiled binaries etc etc.

What is needed here, as stated by the OP, is an interface/GUI
application similar to Fink for the Mac that assists users to build
source code and use it correctly.

Regards
Hylton