Re: [opensuse] Checksums, openSuSE downloads, md5sum (SOLVED)
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:10:02 +1100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2009-01-02 at 16:05 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Following comment is not directed at aria2c nor at k3's ability to burn
a DVD and then verify it as being "successful". Burning DVDs under k3
works fine.

Using k3 you will find - I do, and have been doing so for some months -
that if you burn a *CD* and have the verify function set then every time
the verification process will show that there is an error in the copy
compared to the original -- however, there is NO error, but k3 always
reports that there is an error.

Yes, I think I have seen this behaviour.

Yes, but have you submitted a bug report about it, have you, have you, eh?

:-) :-) .

(BTW, just on this point of the verification process reporting an error
in the copy: what a total waste of time that k3 has to ALWAYS check
though the *whole* CD or DVD (upt o 8GB big) to report an error even
though the error may have occurred at some point at the beginning of the
CD or DVD. Why not report and stop further checking when the error is
first detected?)

Because they don't do a byte by byte compare, but a calculation of a
checksum. The checksum algorithm requires read the entire data stream.
The byte compare needs reading two streams simultaneously, an average
of half way: thus the same total data flow, at a slower pace, probably.

OK, good point.

They could have both algorithms and let the user choose.

As you know, the available option at the moment is to either to Verify
or not to Verify -- I think this is fine.

However, what the Verify could do ( as an answer to the byte-by-byte
check) is to do a sector to sector verification, and repeat this
verification should an error be found, and then stop when an error is
confirmed.

I usually burn by command line, my own script, and byte compare the
result. I can use k3b to generate the iso image.

But for us mere mortals such niceties are not available................

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of
higher things; with those below it, one may not."