Re: [opensuse] Zypper curl errors in 11.0
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:13:12 -0600
On Thursday 01 January 2009 08:50:11 am Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Thursday, 2009-01-01 at 14:39 -0000, Myrosia Dzikovska wrote:
I could, but that seems to be overkill for the real problem - since
all other web apps I use are fine, it's gotta be something in a way
zypper works. My DNS servers are configured dynamically via DHCP, and
since I move around a lot, I just as well not mess with my network
configuration. Especially given that it's a single application that is
failing.

But you can not tune that application, as far as I know.

By the way, you can configure any dns server you like, regardless of where
you are connected. It doesn't have to be the one your provider says.

In short disable IPv6 using YaST, and remove one obstacle from the stack.

The IPv6 is enabled and it is used first.
I used wireshark to see what is going on, and you have first unresolved DNS
resolution request (IPv6), then resolved (IPv4). That happens with every URL.

IMHO, it is not very smart plan in the world where IPv4 is still dominant.
In my case the home router will not respond, as it has no clue what is IPv6,
so my Internet provider will not see those double requests on his servers,
but some software may fail.

I don't see consistent failure by curl, ie. first failure and on repeat
success, so it doesn't fail on IPv6 request failure, but failed request takes
time from the total time allowed for name resolution. Situation is better
since I configured openSUSE to use ISP's nameservers directly, not the router
as intermediate.

For libcurl advice we need someone who knows internals, ie. file bug report
with request to have that configurable. I guess that dialup users will see
more problems than broadband.

The wireshark gives time from request to answer, and usually it is in range of
tens of milliseconds, but sometimes server has more requests and it can be a
second.

Some websites with ads are real DNS server killer. They request resolution of
90 names for each page. Some like Yahoo ask once and that's it. Mentioned
this, does openSUSE use DNS resolver cache?

--
Regards, Rajko