Re: [opensuse] Need help getting Postfix to stop fetching email
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:19:59 +0100
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 12/30/2008 09:46 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

As I've discussed here before, I still think that Postfix (or exim
for that matter) is a big and complex footprint or someone running a
workstation and using Thunderbird or Evolution as their MTA. All
Postfix is doing is handling the system generated messages, and it
is a HUGE overhead or that.

And? What's the problem with a tiny bit of overhead? 20 years ago
it might have been an issue worth dealing with, but today it's just
not of any relevance. IMHO.

Its nothing on the 2G/160G of my 17" desktop replacement laptop or
even bigger machines that people have on their desks.

It does matter to the 1G/16GSSD 7" netbook.
The solution seems to be to not run openSUSE.

I run postfix on a 16 year old 486DX2 with 24Mb RAM. Postfix does not
present any significant overhead - uses hardly any CPU, about 6M of
virtual memory and 10Mb diskspace. Surely a modern netbook can handle
that too.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich