Re: [opensuse] Am I the only one?
  • From: Per Inge Oestmoen <pioe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:26:09 +0100
Larry Stotler wrote:

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Per Inge Oestmoen
<pioe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But you should care - KDE 4 is and should be the version to be developed
in the future. Thus it is important to ensure that it holds high
configurability and functionality - and of course is made to be
user-friendly. There is no contradictions here - quite the contrary!

The problem is that the vision that the current devs have is different
from what the KDE philosophy has been for a long time. I'm not
against making things easier to use for new users, but it would seem
that a whole slew of things have been "forgotten" about when it comes
to KDE4.

Are you completely sure about that?

I personally incline to the belief that the explanation is lack of
communication: In order to have configurability, choice, features and
functionality, the developers must be informed about the need to include
the relevant features.

Look at it this way, as bad as WinDoZe is, look how many people are
staying with XP and avoiding Vista like the plague. I prefer 2k
myself, because it is easier to setup and uses less resources than XP.

There are even more weighty reasons to prefer Windows 2000 before any
other flavor of Windows, and more compelling reasons why we should use
Linux. Namely, Product Activation. Who in his or her right mind would
entrust his/her personal files and data to a computer whose software
cannot be installed without "permission" from a software company and
permanent dependence on the availability of a specific activation
service to be able to access one's files?

In my opinion, Linux cannot ever become dominant on the desktop until
most people understand that a computer ought to be user-controlled and
the software must be capable of being installed whenever and as many
times the user wants - without any activation procedures or other forced
ties to a software manufacturer.

Per Inge Oestmoen