Re: [opensuse] Am I the only one?
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 22:17:07 -0500
Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:
Fred A. Miller wrote:

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:
How does the computer become easier to use by removal of these
possibilities?

It isn't! Even MickySoft Vista has better provision for color setup than
KDE, and you can set the clock to AM:PM.

It would seem so, and both Konqueror 4.x and Dolphin is clearly lacking
in features and functionality as compared to Konqueror 3.x.

Yes....and, IMHO, the dumbing down of Konq. 3.5* is ignorant! I'm
sorry....that's what it is, and there's no valid excuse for it. And, NO,
I'm not blaming the openSUSE team for this!

And since it does manifestly not make the use of the computer more
user-friendly, why this unnecessary and unwanted removal of functions?

Makes NO sense, but there's a lot more that's missing as well.

I begin to see that - but there has to be a lot which I haven't seen
yet. Can you name all the functions that are lacking because they have
been taken out?

No.....there's too many of them, I'm sure there's some I haven't found,
and I don't have the time to write them all up!

- Yes, I am fully aware that complaining here alone does not change the
situation, however it is important to point these things out as many
places as possible AND to tell the KDE developers what we want in KDE.

'Sure is!

It would be good if we could make a list of missing features that are
missing because they have been dropped. Then we can go to those who
create and develop KDE and tell them that we need KDE functionality, not
dumbing down of programs and functions. User-friendliness is
accomplished not by removal of possibilities, but improving the ease
with which things are done.

Agreed, but it's got to be done by someone who has the time to do it, or
is willing to take time to do it.

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."