Re: [opensuse] Am I the only one?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:50:58 -0500
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 25 December 2008 17:06, Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Yes, it is a loser's game, because Microsoft and Apple specialize in
dumbness and limited functionality and have no impulse to give users
maximum functions and choice.

This is a grotesque misunderstanding of what these firms do. It is akin
to saying that the introduction of the electrical starter for the
internal combustion engine catered only to those too weak to manually
crank their car's engines into operation.

The very sad truth is that today's computers are abysmally arcane and
hostile to those they purport to serve. Sure, if you're sufficiently
versed in information technology, you can make sense of their behavior
(let's say, at least 2/3 of the time) and mostly adequately control
their operation and bend it to your will.

But seriously, this is an absurd state of affairs. Implements should not
demand of their users a complete understanding of everything that goes
into their operation. It's as if you couldn't be expected to work a can
opener unless you understood metallurgy!

If specialized training in computers is required to use them, then their
creators (among which I must count myself) have _failed_! (Thus far...)

I'm not saying there shouldn't be easy desktops for the masses. Just
don't take away the flexibility & function of KDE 3.x to do it. Perhaps
the answer is to maintain 3.x and make 4 the "For Dummies" version.
However, regardless of KDE 4, there are some real problems with OpenSUSE
11.1, such as the partitioner, Wake on Lan and others, that I will not
be updating my systems and will revert one back to 11.0. I will leave
one system as 11.1, even though I can't use XDMCP to reach it. My
server can't run 11.1, so long as the WoL issue remains. I have filed
it in Bugzilla, but there's been no response to it.

As for the "For Dummies" desktop, take a look at what Asus provides in
the Eee PC.