Re: [opensuse] 11.1 - k3b will not run for non-root, what was the trick?
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:42:13 -1000
On Wednesday 24 December 2008 06:20:15 am Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 04:08:02PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Wednesday, 2008-12-24 at 15:45 +0100, Florian Gleixner wrote:
resmgr schould change the permissions of the cd/dvd writer device so

11.1 has no resmgr, it's been removed.

Now it is done via ConsoleKit/PolicyKit/hal, but I don't know exactly
how.

Mostly the same way, ACLs are handed out for the devices that need it.
(HAL has also switched to a ACL based method, like we already did with
resmgr).

Ciao, Marcus

This means that there is definitely a problem with:
1. what hal considers worthy of gaining device permissions.
2. what k3b tells hal it needs.
3. what hal reads as a proper device.
4. what hal does after a proper permission request is issued.
5. what k3b does after it receives a proper permission.

since nerolinux can do the job just fine, it is more probable that the
problem(s) lie with wodim, the engine behind k3b. A further indication of
that is the fact that after k3b is started, any further access to the dvd is
dissallowed until an "rchal restart" is invoked. if that's the case, does
this rehash the battles between "old" cdrecord /cdrkit and wodim? this bug
has been around for a while...
also.....
Since hal and k3b are packaged together in suse releases, it also becomes a
suse problem. I will try Florian's resmanager suggestions on my workhorse
10.3 install. I will also try whatever is suggested on the 11.0 install
before the upgrade it to 11.1. If these fail I will try the "original"
cdrecord from Joerg Schilling, and, if that works, then I will switch to the
Schilling camp re dvd burning. if none of the above works, i will try
nerolinux again.

d.