[opensuse] YaST won't update after 11.1 upgrade
  • From: Mike McCallister <workingwriter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:36:24 -0600
Hi folks!

Had what I thought was a routine upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1, but getting some
weird networking problems since.

When looking to add/update software, I consistently got this message when
trying to connect to the repositories:

Download (curl) error for
'http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-
oss/repodata/repomd.xml':
Error code:
Error message: Couldn't resolve host 'download.opensuse.org'

Tried the Online Update Configuration, and got the same message. When that
failed, I got this error:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file Register.ycp:1452
/sbin/yast2: line 437: 5364 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module
"$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

NetworkManager indicated nothing out of the ordinary, and believes that eth0
is activated. I configured DSL in YaST, but nothing changed.

Curiously enough, www.opensuse.org was hit-and-miss under both Konqueror and
Firefox, and searching the list archives was a small pain, as nearly every
page first generated an "Unknown Host" error, resolved on Retry. Other
websites display fine.

Played a little with the firewall settings, but got nowhere there, either.

What's going on? I have the feeling the Auto-Config for the networking card
went bad, but I don't see how to fix it in NetworkManager. All thoughts
appreciated.

System: AMD 64-bit processor, standard ethernet port connecting to a 2Wire DSL
router. Used the 64-bit KDE Live CD and auto-config for the hardware on the
desktop machine (but have the same issue with the 32-bit DVD ISO installed on
a VirtualBox VM on a Dell laptop)
--

Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
workingwriter@xxxxxxxxxxx "Translation from the Geek a specialty"