Re: [opensuse] Sometimes, I'm denied access to my scanner as user. [culprit found!]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:57:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2008-12-03 at 13:20 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
is just one more example that the udev/HAL/hal-resmgr
machinery does not work reliably and therefore I recommend
that you stop the hopeless fight with this mess and use
for example the workaround it via the saned, see

I know that trick, but you see, the scanner has been working for months. It is only now and then that it stops working. It might stay working for another year before it fails again...

If your worksation is not in a trusted internal network
where a firewall protects it from external access
(if I remember correctly, you use a router box to connect
to the Internet but you don't trust the built-in firewall
in this router box),

I don't trust it too much, right, because it is not updatable. If it has a hole, I will not know nor be able to close it. It is a box provided by the ISP.

don't run saned (see "man saned"),
instead add the normal user who should access the scanner
to the group "lp".

It did not work, I tried.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.