Re: [opensuse] Blocking autoreplies at the MTA (postfix)
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:01:46 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, December 2, 2008 13:10, Sandy Drobic wrote:

There are several caveats to your approach:

- if you reject mails at the smtp level you should have your own
mailserver
that is the responsible mx for your domain, otherwise you will become a
source
of backscatter

I know.
Just check it yourself:

$ dig amedee.be +short
$ dig amedee.be mx +short
$ dig intrepid.warp.be +short

Then check the headers of my emails:

by mx2.suse.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id D49214648A
for <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:31:57 +0100 (CET)

So as you can see, I'm ok.

- header_checks are not the best tool for this problem since the headers
are
evaluated one line after the other without a way to combine patterns of
several lines.

As Carlos already proposed, Spamassassin is much better suited for this
task,
since you can check for a listmail header and the subject header and then
set
the appropriate action. That way you don't block desired autoresponder
mails.

It is my opinion that even if SpamAssassin is better in theory, it is a
bulky behemoth compared to my simple header_checks. I'm afraid that my
server will run out of memory or cpu when I use SA. Since it's a virtual
xen server shared with a couple of people, I'm trying to be polite to the
others. I once had a trashing error because of Amavis (yet another memory
monster), and I won't let that happen again.

--
Amedee