Re: [opensuse] UPS And Multiple Computers
  • From: Erland Moller <erland@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 21:54:23 +0100
Per Jessen schreef:
Erland Moller wrote:

Don't forget that with a bigger/more expensive UPS, most of the time
you have the advantage of hot-swappable battery's and/or a bypass
function plus the ability to shut down more than one server if things
go wrong. Most of the small UPS's have to be shut-down to swap the
battery's. Furthermore with the big UPS's the battery voltage is
higher resulting in low amp's on the battery's resulting in longer
lifetime.

Erland, I think you're talking very large UPS'es here - I haven't seen
anything less than 25kVA with hot-swappable batteries. Bypass mode
yes, but hot-swappable batteries is another level.

/Per

I beg to differ.
I have at home a Powerware 4000 VA UPS with external/hot-swappable battery's. At the company i work i have tested/replaced a lot of batery-packs from ups's ranging from 1500 VA up to 40 KVA
Every company that delivers ups's should use hot-swappable battery's since this is the weakness of a UPS.

Greets,
Erland.