Re: [opensuse] Using windows shares
  • From: Manne Merak <mannemerak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:16:42 +0200
G T Smith wrote:
Manne Merak wrote:
Kai Ponte wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Kai Ponte wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Manne Merak wrote:

On this subject; does anyone know why there is no "use Linux
user and
passwd for samba logins" option? (or is there?)

The only one that comes to mind is smbpasswd.

Yes - there's no nice GUI for setting all this up.

Actually, there is. It's in "Personal Settings", under "Internet &
Network, though I haven't done much there.

Ahh, I remember that now. However, it doesn't correctly setup
permissions. I had tried it several times and ended up needing to go to
the smb.conf file and mucking about.

Well, this is not really what Im after. I want to tell smbmount to use
my current logged-in linux username and password to login to shares. So
aslong as I keep my local password synced with the windows network
password all is well.
The KDE control panel helps alot - I use it at the moment - It just
needs a check box saying - "Use local login credentials". At fail it
should come up with login dialog.

Manne

Two useful links below...

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html

part of the excellent array of samba docs...

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Administration/Authentication-in-Samba/

and something just picked up from a quick google.

I looked at PAM before and it is the proper solution. But why isnt it
one of the obvious options in KDE or Gnome - or smbmount? Seems so
obvious to me to try and login with my local user and passwd first,
before prompting the user? Maybe its just me.

To even further hijack this thread - I said this before on this list, I
believe the KDE and Gnome management of smb, sshfs etc is flawed. These
services must be handled like USB sticks and cameras are handled -
mounted as needed and unmounted on request or after timeout. There are
some solution out there - but again KDE and Gnome have their own idea of
how to handle these and is not looking into including a
cross-window-manager solution.

Manne