Re: [opensuse] Using windows shares
  • From: Manne Merak <mannemerak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:16:42 +0200
G T Smith wrote:
Manne Merak wrote:
Kai Ponte wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Kai Ponte wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Manne Merak wrote:

On this subject; does anyone know why there is no "use Linux
user and
passwd for samba logins" option? (or is there?)

The only one that comes to mind is smbpasswd.

Yes - there's no nice GUI for setting all this up.

Actually, there is. It's in "Personal Settings", under "Internet &
Network, though I haven't done much there.

Ahh, I remember that now. However, it doesn't correctly setup
permissions. I had tried it several times and ended up needing to go to
the smb.conf file and mucking about.

Well, this is not really what Im after. I want to tell smbmount to use
my current logged-in linux username and password to login to shares. So
aslong as I keep my local password synced with the windows network
password all is well.
The KDE control panel helps alot - I use it at the moment - It just
needs a check box saying - "Use local login credentials". At fail it
should come up with login dialog.

Two useful links below...

part of the excellent array of samba docs...

and something just picked up from a quick google.

I looked at PAM before and it is the proper solution. But why isnt it
one of the obvious options in KDE or Gnome - or smbmount? Seems so
obvious to me to try and login with my local user and passwd first,
before prompting the user? Maybe its just me.

To even further hijack this thread - I said this before on this list, I
believe the KDE and Gnome management of smb, sshfs etc is flawed. These
services must be handled like USB sticks and cameras are handled -
mounted as needed and unmounted on request or after timeout. There are
some solution out there - but again KDE and Gnome have their own idea of
how to handle these and is not looking into including a
cross-window-manager solution.