Re: [opensuse] Using windows shares
  • From: Manne Merak <mannemerak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:51:41 +0200
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
Hi listmates,

- this is killing me. I thought it was simple, hopefully it's just me
who cannot seem to get my head right...

On SuSE11 I've got like 15 users (KIWI-LTSP5).
I've got one Win2003 server with shared directories, each owned by an
inidivdual user.

Now I'd like to have a desktop icon or whatever to allow my Linux
users to access this share on the wintendo box. But only his share,
not the shares of the other users.

The shares on the win-machine are properly owned and have proper
permissions and all. Usernames and passwords are the same on Linux and
Windows.

a)
I can't seem to use an cifs/smbfs entry in /etc/fstab as such a line
requires an "... -o username=vk,password=verysecret"

This requirement kills this solution, or...?

b)
I'd like to just copy a konqueror "smb://server-ip/share" icon to the
desktop of all Linux users, thus giving them a browse of the windows
shares - and a prompt for username and password when the wish to
access a certain share. This works perfectly fine when the fileserver
is a samba server, will it work just the same with a 2003 box?

c)
I'm able to run a script at login time, could one employ "fusermount"
or "fusesmb" or something smiliar?

Any hints/howtos are as always, greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Well the login script will be the simple solution. No need for fuse,
just use plain "mount -t cifs". Just make sure the script is only
accessible by the user because you will have to pass the password (as in
your option b).

On this subject; does anyone know why there is no "use Linux user and
passwd for samba logins" option? (or is there?)

Manne