Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [opensuse] Apache server side includes openSUSE 10.3 x86_64
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:05:10 -0500
Patrick Shanahan said the following on 11/21/2008 09:43 PM:
* Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx> [11-21-08 21:07]:
You mean NOT use

Yast2 -> network Services -> HTTP Server

as I have been doing? Its the only 'top level' mention of a http server
I saw.

I haven't that I remember, but you can. I just started the apache2
server in the run-level editor and drove on. It has been running for
about five or six years that way. :^)

Which means you didn't start 'virgin' with 11.0.
As far as I can make out, some time in the past openSUSE had a more
'traditional' single configuration file and there were tools for an
upgrade (to 2.x for some value of x) that did grep/sed/awk to convert
that single file into the format I now see on my (virgin) 11.0.

As I said, the YAST2 path I quoted is the one that mentions the HTTP
server and the one you see at the 'high level' as you step though the
main menu. The 'edit sysconfig' hides it much lower down and what you
do with it assumes you already know how the SUSE implementation differs
from the more 'traditional' config.

In fact until you mentioned it I didn't even know it was there. I'd
been editing stuff under /etc/sysconfig/apache/ manually.

--
Why do cats get fur balls and dogs don't?