Re: [opensuse] wait times excessive high {Suse 10.3 & 11}
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:38:42 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2008-11-20 at 14:18 +0100, Sandy Drobic wrote:

the same speed as other parts of pc hardware.

We need hard disks with two or more independent heads. :-)~~

Nope, the real solution is not to use hard disk at all anymore. I am eagerly
waiting for the time when SSDs are becoming reliable, cheap and fast enough
with enough capacity to be used as replacement. It shouldn't take that long
anymore.

Nay, we need crystaline holographic memory.

(Umm, I shouldn't watch StarTrek that much... )

Recent models offer 200+ mb/s speed. In 3-4 years I expect that most servers
come equipped with SSDs.

What about lifetime? Don't they have a limited number of write operations?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.