Re: [opensuse] Re: 64bit Kernel and 32bit Userland - how to do it?
  • From: Joe Morris <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:28:34 +0800
On 11/20/2008 08:45 PM, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:
AFAIK, you can opt to install the 32bit version of all of them. It
doesn't happen automagically though. I don't think there is a single
tickbox to say 32bit or 64bit applications.

I don't need automatisms, I'll script them myself anyhow. It's
sufficient that they are installable at all.

These are special 32-bit RPMs for the 64-bit distribution, aren't
they? Or can one install RPMs from 32-bit OpenSUSE into a 64-bit
installation?

You could install 32 bit packages, as long as all the requirements are
filled. You can only install both at the same time with the -32bit
x86_64 packages. If you install a i586 package, it will conflict if
there is a 64 bit version of the same program/library/etc.

You cannot install just a 64 bit kernel, but I believe you could
accomplish what you want with some manually installing, via the versions
tab in Yast and specifically choosing the i586 packages for the pieces
you prefer 32 bit, or even better, install both 64 and 32 bit packages
where ever possible, so there are less dependency problems. HTH.

--
Joe Morris