Re: [opensuse] wait times excessive high {Suse 10.3 & 11}
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:33:26 +0100
James D. Parra wrote:

Hello,

Trying to find why almost every process that requires IO has near 100%
wait times.

Even a simple 'cp' command has enormous wait times and doesn't appear
at or
near the top of the list when running 'top'. This was occurring when
writing to a raid, but have tested writing to the system drive and the
same thing occurs.

Running the 'cp command copying a 19GB file from /tmp/file1 /tmp/file2
will take 50 minutes

The same command on another identical system will take 10 minutes.

Sounds like IO errors to me. Have you checked dmesg to see if there are
any error messages?
On my system, writing a 20Gb file took 11minutes, copying it to another
file on the same filesystem and drive took 29minutes.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich