Re: HTML email (WAS: Re: [opensuse] KMail - First Impressions)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:08:50 +0100
On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 08:38 -0800, Kai Ponte wrote:
On Monday 17 November 2008 03:53:50 am peter nikolic wrote:
On Saturday 15 November 2008, Diego Tognola wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:23:24 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
Anyway, you're just not going to get both things: KMail _and_ decent
HTML composition.

...sad but true, but there's a lot of users out there still hoping -
that's why I was asking initially.

Here's one hoping that HTML based emails get done away with completely
no winder people try to hide so many bugs in mail with this horrid HTML
junk mail

HTML mail =wastebin.

Unfortunately, we're not living in the days of Pine anymore. HTML email is
here to stay.

Keep in mind, most people don't give a rip about what format they're sending
nor do they care about size or formatting or whatever.

Alienating the 99% of people who wish to send email - html or otherwise - is
bad choice.

I do sort of dislike html mail. I can say, however, that when sending
tech e-mail to a Windows user, formatting a table in the e-mail is
faster than making a doc/pdf or whatever. This is mainly because many
e-mail programs do not respect line endings. Any formatted text is lost.
Back when I was sending to elm users, fixed space fonts were the norm,
and lines were kept as they were. Ah, for the good old days.

As I said, I tried to reject HTML emails for awhile at work and got shot
down.
Even trying to enforce a bottom posting format was futile.

People. They just insist on having ideas of their own.

There are bigger fights to be had than whether or not email should be html or
plain text.

Like why Windows users send me 800K Word docs when I ask for a screen
dump...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.