Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird - Any way to make it open Opera on link click?
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 21:14:07 -0500
David C. Rankin said the following on 11/14/2008 06:55 PM:
Listmates,

Another quirky question, is there any way to configure thunderbird on
make it open another browser besides firefox when you click a link in a mail
message? I searched the config:editor on network, browser, fire, helper, but
nothing looked like a browser change. It seems to be ignoring the KDE
"Component Chooser" setting of Opera regarding the default browser.

Yes.
It comes in two parts.

First, you need to set T'Bird to execute a shell script when clicking on
a URL. I have ~/.thunderbird/openlink.sh
It has this in it:

#!/bin/sh
BROWSER=${BROWSER-/usr/bin/firefox}
url="$1"
if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
url="about:blank"
fi
exec ${BROWSER} -remote "openurl($url, new-tab)"

YMMV.

To get to this I have in my user.js for T'Bird:

// Use browser for http, https & ftp links
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http",
"~/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https",
"~/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp",
"~/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");

You may need to fully expand the ~/

I found the basis for this via Google many years ago and it has served
me well after a few modifications :-) I suppose it depends on how much
you want hard coded.

--
"We hear very little and we understand even less"
- An anonymous Englishman,