Re: [opensuse] Opera - my first impression, a very pleasant surprise
  • From: Lee Ross <leeross@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:30:52 -0900
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:38:20 -0900, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

List,

I installed opera just to check the browser out. Heck it is an integrated browser and mail package all in one.

David,

It's always nice to see someone new discover Opera. I've been using Opera
since Ver. 5 on Windows 95. As soon as they came out with a linux platform
I migrated to Linux and never looked back. I use OpenSuse and whatever
version of Opera they offer however, I have updated from the Opera site in the past.

Once you get used to the way Opera filters messages you'll find you can
function at almost any level with the standard filters. One thing to
remember.....Opera has only one file to retain all emails that are not
deleted and that file is called, 'received'. Everything else is just an
access point to the received file. Opera is one of the most configurable
browser/email packages available. There's something for everyone if you
dig around in all the configurations long enough. Opera is also completely
keyboard functional. A little mousing and a few keyboard shortcuts keep me
happy.

I think you'll find the contacts list is very useful. Just click on the
contact name to see all messages sent or received from that contact. Makes
it easy to keep track of several conversations about different subjects
and you can always easily review what Aunt Harriet said in her last
message to you. If you are reading an email from some one you want to put
on your contact list, press the 'a' key and a window will pop up,
preconfigured as a contact. Press enter and you have a
contact added to your list. There are other ways to add contacts but that one is the easiest in most cases.

Enjoy,

--
Lee Ross
Anchorage, Ak