Re: [opensuse] Another IMPORTANT thing missing in KDE 4.1!
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:45:18 -0500
Well, I'm done with this particular thread. Since I have evidently
earned a reputation of "defending" Fred (even though I had pointed out
that he could've done a better job with the way he started this thread
nor do I mind defending Fred actually) and that I am a KDE4 hater(even
though I have gone out of my way to help point out where KDE4 is
lacking compared to KDE3 and have encouraged discussion of what needs
to be improved in KDE4).

KDE4 promised so many things like using less resources(which I have
shown is NOT the case when using openSUSE 11.0 because of the fact
that KDE3 is forced to make use of KDE4's qt4 libraries which means
that you are using both and that is using more resources) and the
KDE4's out of the box experience has been centered on making it
"pretty" and "glitzy" and is basically the KDE community's way of
making their own Vista Aero and OS X Aqua clone.

When I look at an upgrade, I want to see how it will benefit me and
what I do. I've been repeatedly told that I need to upgrade my
hardware and that the current version of openSUSE is designed for new
mainstream hardware and not for older machines.

Until such time as something like kdepersonalizer is offered at
default startup so that I can turn off all the eyecandy and other
things I don't want and don't use, and until it has most of the
features of KDE3 that I actually use and so I don't have to spend a
large amount of time configuring it so I can actually use it, I will
stick with KDE3.

I would like to see KDE4 deliver on it's promises, but so far it
hasn't. I applaud the devs for their hard work for trying to improve
KDE4. But KDE4 with 11.0 was not up to SuSE's standards, and I
sincerely hope that it will be for 11.1.

11.0 was worth the upgrade if nothing else for the package manager.
What will 11.1 offer other than newer versions of programs like
openoffice or this or that other than an improved version of KDE4?
Due to 11.0's stability, I will probably stay with it for a while.
Honestly, I had a SuSE 9.2 system for a long time before I finally
moved it to 10.2(which is where it still is).

Sometimes upgrades as worthwhile and sometime they aren't. IMO, the
even point releases have been the best so far. 10.0(brought back
official ppc support), 10.2, 11.0. 10.1 had the broken package
manager and broken old world mac support(which was kernel related) and
10.3's package system was probably the slowest I've ever seen out of
SuSE(and I've been using it since v5.3 on a Pentium 100/32MB system).