Re: [opensuse] Dumb Online Update Question
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:16:04 -0600
Bob S wrote:
Hello SuSE people,

Running 10.3, KDE3 on a 64 bit system.

I have always used Smart and Apt before that for many years. Lately Smart has
been trying to download i586 packages to me. So I figured I would use Yast
Online Update and give it a try.

It did it's thing refreshing, caching, etc. etc. then dumped me into what
looks like the Software Management screen. Can't figure out what to do from
there. I see some packages are marked in red. Looks like they are the ones to
be upgraded. Must I go through all of the different package groups, patches,
etc and mark each one individualy for upgrade? Is there not some way to say
OK, upgrade everything you found?

Sorry, I forgot the detail of "software management" updates. If you
want to
update all packages on your system to the latest version contained on the
repositories you have added, then for 11.0:

yast -> software management -> Package -> All Packages -> update if newer
version available

The available versions of packages are determined by the repositories
you have
added. Use webpin to find the repositories that hold the latest version of a
specific package you are interested in and then add that repo and go through
the update steps to pull in the latest version of the package.

webpin is in the:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tools/openSUSE_11.0

repository

See my note about rare, but possible, dependency conflicts in my first
reply...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC