Re: [opensuse] How does the work...
  • From: Sylvester Lykkehus <zly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:29:44 +0100
On 2008-11-06 03:06, David C. Rankin wrote:

That has been a moving target as of late. In pure summary fashion,
novell/opensuse provides:

for 10.3, change the version above

For all other repositories under:

They are openSuSE Build Service (OBS) repositories and are provided by
individuals and groups, within or without novell, subject to novell
requirements, for the benefit of the openSuSE community.

Novell/openSuSE will provide updates for packages contained in in general from the date of
release + 24 months through the

A new openSuSE release will generally be provided every 6-10 months.
can be credited for putting flexibility into the release schedule, as needed,
if the developers determine additional time is needed to insure a release is
ready. Well done.

Updates to all packages under are
provided when available from the maintainers of the repositories.

File bug reports against packages in the distribution and update
and they will either be fixed, deferred to the next release or closed depending
on the severity and security implications posed.

Avoid filing bugs with the openSuSE bugzilla at for
packages in the unless it poses a
dire risk of nuclear war, post those problems to the list and then shut-up and
don't complain. Otherwise some members of the list will quickly belittle you
and attack you for not knowing that you shouldn't file bug reports with
openSuSE against the openSuSE packages in the

Got it? Clear as mud right? But all in all it works quite well. This
isn't an
official openSuSE position, just my understanding from experience with the list
and the openSuSE bugzilla.

Tank you very much for that broad explanation David, it helped me a lot.

Also Michal Marek explained on the Build Service list, that I could use to check the organization of the projects, the build status of individual packages, and so forth.

Have a nice day
Sylvester Lykkehus