Re: [opensuse] Win98se in QEMU on openSUSE 11.0
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:17:07 -0600
Jay C Vollmer wrote:
Greetings.

I've been trying to get Windows 98SE installed in a QEMU Virtual machine on
openSUSE 11.0 and it works fine with the exception of the network.

I see in the man page that the default nic is an ne2k, but when I try to
install the driver supplied on the win98se install CD it doesn't work.

I'm unable to get any sort of connectivity for the VM while running Win98.
FreeBSD6.1 and WinXP both work perfectly in QEMU on this system (WinXP uses
a RTL8029, but this driver doesn't seem to work in Win98.)

Can anyone tell me what Windows driver to use and what settings to apply on
either the guest side or the host side?

I know that you might ask why put Win98 in a VM on Linux, and the only thing
I can say is that there is a particular and perhaps peculiar need. I won't
bore everyone with those details.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

I can't solve your qmenu problem, but I bet virtualbox will work:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC